HOMEPAGE

Saturday, April 11, 2009

RUN FOR A CAUSE


RUN FOR A CAUSE
By Robbie Pangilinan

Just recently, Airspeed International Corp. Hosted a Marathon for a Cause as a fund raising project for the Alabang New Life Foundation, World Vision, Metro Kids, and Gawad Kalinga. With its good cause, it was just so enticing to be a part of this Power Race; but every participant must be in a good shape or healthy to be able to finish the race.

In relation, Airspeed Chief Executive Officer (CEO) and President Ms. Rosemarie Rafael shares her pointers on health. The company has been one of the top performers in freight, customs brokerage, and cargo handling for 23 years. Throughout those years, the company went through a marathon. Since it is still in the business, it can be positively said that it is doing well in the race.

This is one of the perspectives on hosting the Marathon for a Cause since it is what the company is walking on. As the CEO and President, Ms. Rafael contributed a lot to its success. She has been on the business race and has been doing it great. She does all her responsibilities very well. Knowing that this is not an easy job, it is best to be aware of her secrets on maintaining good health in the middle of her obligations; because aside from business and wellness, she is also a mother of four.

“The ‘health secrets’ I have are not really secrets as they are known to everyone. I have a three-fold secret though. It is in the doing, the discipline of doing it every day, and the diligence of doing it well every day,” says Ms. Rafael. This can be related to being a part of the Marathon race; a very good analogy on running the business race.

Furthermore, Ms. Rafael stresses her “open secrets.” They consist of diet, exercise, and rest. On top of her list is walking. “I go walking for an hour with my husband, my daughter, or my best friend at six in the morning; for at least thrice a week,” she says. In addition, vices are out of her life as she relates that “no smoking, drinking or any vice as our body is the temple of God!” To add, it will not be easy for Marathon participants to go with the race if they are so into vices as these really destroys the body.

Moreover, Ms. Rafael is a sweet tooth but discipline outweighs her cravings. She claims, “No sodas and sweets even if I have a sweet tooth. I substitute fresh fruits for the sweets I like. I also eat a lot of vegetables. Nothing white as much as possible. No white rice, white sugar and white bread. I go for brown rice, muscovado or brown sugar, and wheat bread. It’s really just having discipline.”

Rest and relaxation is also important for Ms. Rafael. “Of course, I get enough sleep despite my busy schedule. I am a morning person so I sleep early and wake up early. I am not harassed the whole day even with the demands and pressures I face every day because I start my day right. In the quiet of the early morning, I have time to pray and organize the things I have to do for the day,” she says. Living with the idea on the significance of resting and taking it into action helps her manage a huge business, and a lot of other commitments. Relating this to Marathon, it is not like Sprint where you exert all the strength at a short race period. It is a long walk and run so there must be a strategy to it to persevere and finish.

Aside from the fact that the company is doing well, Ms. Rafael is in a good state as she has the good health of a 20-year-old in her physical age of 51. She proudly shares that “At my age, I praise and thank God that I am living a healthy life. I know a lot of people my age who suffer from diseases brought about by unhealthy lifestyles. I just keep it simple and that’s the secret!”

It can be learned straight from Ms. Rafael that health is really wealth. The Marathon for a Cause as a way to raise funds also says it. Nobody who is in bad health condition can join the race. In the end, whether in life or in a sports race, it is best to keep her “open secrets” as she looks forward to many more years of taking care of the business and her loved ones who she really cherishes.#

No comments: